PHILADELPHIA, Pa. After being swept 3-0 in doubles, Penn won four singles matches to edge Virginia 4-3 Sunday at Levy Pavilion to improve to 3-0. Sophomores Yulia Rivelis and Julia Koulbitskaya won their matches at the No. 1 and 2 spots, while Alexis Plukas and Michelle Mitchell solidified the bottom of the singles line up with wins.
Rivelis and Plukas fell to Douglas Wink and Rachel DelPriore 8-6 at No. 1. Lori Stern and Kristen James downed Koulbitskaya and Mitchell 8-4, and Raluca Ciochina and Caroline Stanislawski lost to Lauren Bruch and Amanda Rales 8-6.
Needless to say, the Quakers had their work cut out for them in singles. Rivelis gave Penn its first win of the day defeating Wink 4-6, 6-0, 6-3. Koulbitskaya disposed of Virginia’s James in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. The Red and Blue dropped matches at the No. 3 and 4 spots, but Plukas and Mitchell sured things up just as they did on Friday against Penn State. Plukas beat Lindsey Pereira 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. Mitchell rounded out the day for Penn defeating Rales 7-5, 6-2 to help the Quakers to their third win on the young season.
The Red and Blue will hit the road for their next seven matches. Next up is Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday, Feb. 18 and Richmond on Sunday, Feb. 19.
PENN 4 VIRGINIA 3
1. Hampton Wink/Rachel DelPriore (V) def. Yulia Rivelis/Alexis Plukas (P) 8-6
2. Lori Stern/Kristen James (V) def. Julia Koulbitskaya/Michelle Mitchell (P) 8-4
3. Lauren Bruch/Amanda Rales (V) def. Raluca Ciochina/Caroline Stanislawski (P) 8-6
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Douglas Wink (V) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Kristen James (V) 6-3, 6-4
3. Rachel DelPriore (V) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lori Stern (V) def. Raluca Ciochina (P) 7-6, 6-3
5. Alexis Plukas (P) def. Lindsey Pereira (V) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Amanda Rales (V) 7-5, 6-2