PHILADELPHIA - Women's Tennis battled Binghamton the entire match, but just could not pull out enough victories on Friday night, falling to Binghamton 5-2. The Quakers (5-5) got themselves in the hole early, dropping two of the three doubles matches and could not make up that ground in the singles play.
Connie Hsu and Alexa Ely won their doubles match in convincing fashion, 8-3. The pair is now unbeaten through six matches together this spring and have 20 victories on the season against just two losses. Unfortunately, Penn lost the matches at number two and three to lose out on the singles point, which is a point that the Quakers have become accustomed to getting.
Trailing by one heading into singles, Hsu widened the gap from her previous meeting with Anna Edelman. Hsu defeated in Edelman in the Regional Finals during the fall by a close (7-5, 7-6 (0)) margin. This time the match came a little easier as Hsu won the rematch, 6-1, 6-2.
Jamie Yapp-Shing gave the Quakers their only other win on the night with her straight set victory at number three. Yapp-Shing quickly got the early advantage, winning the first set 6-2, before sealing the deal with a 6-4 win in the second.
The rest of the Quakers fought valiantly but could not get the games they needed for victory. Alexa Ely gave the 20th-ranked player in the region, Jillan Santos, a tough match but could not pull it out in the end. Daniela DePaoli also battled throughout at number four, but would fall 7-5, 6-3.
The final singles matches both went the full three-sets, but Penn would come out on the wrong side of both. Stephanie Do took the first set with a 6-3 win, but could pull out the second set that she needed. Emma Whitfield also took the first set 7-5, but fell in the second with the 7-5 score reversed in her opponent's favor. In the tight third-set, Whitfield lost the decisive set 6-4.
The Quakers are now set to depart for Jacksonville, Florida for the first of three matches that will begin on Tuesday. During the spring break trip, the Quakers will have matches on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday before returning to Philadelphia with the Ivy Season fast approaching.
1. Alexa Ely/Connie Hsu, (P) defeated Anna Edelman/Yagmur Gone, (BU) 8-3
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova, (BU) defeated Jules Rodin/Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) 8-3
3. Marina Bykovskaya/Emma Leibowicz, (BU) defeated Stephanie Do/Emma Whitfield, (P) 8-2
1. No. 12 Connie Hsu, (P) defeated Anna Edelman (BU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Jillian Santos, (BU) defeated Alexa Ely, (P) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jaime Yapp-Shing, (P) defeated Yulia Smirnova (BU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Marina Bykovskaya, (BU) defeated Stephanie Do (P) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Emma Leibowicz, (BU) defeated Daniela DePaoli, (P) 7-5, 6-3
6. Lauren Bates, (BU) defeated Emma Whitfield (P), 5-7, 7-5, 6-4