PHILADELPHIA - Penn women's tennis team defeated Drexel 6-1 Wednesday evening at the Quakers' Levy Tennis Pavilion.The match wasPenn's first of the2010 season and marks Sanela Kunovac's first career win as Penn's head coach.
With a3-1 record carried over from the fall season, Drexel too was competing in its first match of 2010. The Red and Blue started off strong with two doubles victories. The team of junior Alexa Ely and freshman Charlotte Ezratty earned an 8-5 win over Elise Leizenovich and Gozde Unkaya, while sophomore Daniela DePaoli and newcomer Emma Whitefield topped the Dragon's Melissa Bohm and Lara Hamad, 8-1. Penn's Jules Rodin and Emily Wolf faced a dogfight in the No.1 doubles match. The duo fell to Zineb Hilali and Emma Brook 9-8 with five tie-breakers.
In singles play, theQuakers dominated, taking five of six. Both Wolf and Rodin showed quite a bit of resilience, as they battled back from being down 1-0 to both capture tie-breaker wins. Ely, Ezratty, and Whitefield took down their opponents in two sets each.
The Red and Blue are back in action Sunday at 1 p.m. when they host Georgetown at the Levy Pavilion.
1. Hilali/Brook (D) def. Rodin/Wolf 9-8 (5)
2. Ely/Ezratty (P) def. Unkaya/Leizenovich (D) 8-5
3. DePaoli/Whitefield (P) def. Bohm/Hamad (D) 8-1
1. Emily Wolf (P)def. Zineb Hilali (D) 4-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Alexa Ely (P)def. Gozde Unkaya (D) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jules Rodin (P)def. Emma Brook (D) 7-5, 2-6, 10-4
4. Elise Leizerovich (D) def. Daniela DePaoli 3-6, 6-3, 10-12
5. Charlotte Ezratty (P)def. Melissa Bohm (D) 7-5, 6-1
6. Emma Whitefield (P) def. Lara Hamad (D) 6-1, 6-0