HOUSTON, Texas - Completing the final match of its Texas road trip, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team defeated No. 55 Rice in Houston on Saturday, 4-3. Penn's win is its second over a ranked opponent this season and brings the Quakers to 6-6 on the year.
The day got off to a rough start with all three of Penn's doubles pairings falling behind, but as the matches wore on, the Quakers found ways to take points and ended up winning in the top two spots to earn the point. Kana Daniel and Sonya Latycheva got back to their winning ways with a 6-4 win and Ria Vaidya and Marta Kowalska also worked their way to a 6-4 triumph.
After suffering her first individual loss on Thursday, Kana Daniel defeated No. 99 Lindsey Hodge in three sets. After exchanging set-wins, Daniel fell behind 3-0 in the third but rallied her way to a 6-4 win that clinched the match for the Red and Blue.
Back in the lineup after sitting out a match, Lina Qostal took a narrow win in two sets. Qostal competed in the third position and won both of her sets 7-5.
Finally, O.J. Singh competed as the Quakers No. 5 and won a three-set match. Singh won the first set 6-2, lost the second 6-3, but rolled to a 6-3 win in the third.
Penn will host St. John on Saturday at noon in its final tune up before the Ivy schedule begins.
1. Sonya Latycheva/Kana Daniel (PENN) def. Emily Smith/Katherine Ip (RICE) 6-4
2. Ria Vaidya/Marta Kowalska (PENN) def. Solomiya Zinko/Lindsey Hodge (RICE) 6-4
3. Savannah Durkin/Alison Ho (RICE) def. Lina Qostal/Luba Vazhenina (PENN) 6-1
1. Kana Daniel (PENN) def. Lindsey Hodge (RICE) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
2. Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Ria Vaidya (PENN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lina Qostal (PENN) def. Emily Smith (RICE) 7-5, 7-5
4. Alison Ho (RICE) def. Marta Kowalska (PENN) 6-1, 6-4
5. O.J. Singh (PENN) def. Savannah Durkin (RICE) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Solomiya Zinko (RICE) def. Luba Vazhenina (PENN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3