PHILDELPHIA The Penn women’s tennis team got their Ivy League season started off right, as they beat Princeton, 5-2 today.
The Quakers made their point to the Tigers early on, as they swept them in doubles for the point. Freshman Ekaterina Kosminskaya and sophomore Lenka Snajdrova won in the No. 1 spot, 8-2, beating Sarah Huah and Ivana King. Junior Julia Koulbitskaya and sophomore Amanda Avedissian clinched the doubles point with a win at No. 3, as they beat Kristen Scott and Laura Trimble, 8-3. Juniors Charlotte Tansill and Yulia Rivelis had the third win in doubles, in the No. 2 spot, but it was a tougher batter. They beat Darcy Roberson and Melissa Saiontz, 8-7, making it a sweep in doubles.
In singles, the Quakers had two losses in the Nos. 2 and 5 spots, but wins at 1, 3, 4 and 6 clinched the victory for Penn. At No. 2, Koulbitskaya fell to King, 7-5, 6-1, while junior Michelle Mitchell lost in the No. 5 spot to Blakely Ashley, 7-6, 6-1. Kosminskaya had a good win in the No. 1 singles spot, as she beat Saiontz, 6-3, 7-6 (6). Rivelis had a solid win in two sets in the No. 3 spot, beating Robertson, 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore Lenka Snajdrova earned her first career Ivy League win, as she beat Huah in the No. 4 spot, 6-4, 6-4. And sophomore Lauren Sadaka had an easy win in the No. 6 spot over Joanna Roth, beating her 6-2, 6-2.
With the win, the Red and Blue improve to 11-4 overall, and 1-0 in the Ivy League. Up next, Penn will face two more Ivy opponents in as many days, as they host Yale on Fridayat 2 p.m., andBrown the next day, facingoff against the Bears at noon.
Penn 5, Princeton 2
1. Kosminskaya/Snajdrova (Penn) def. Huah/King (Princeton), 8-2
2. Tansill/Rivelis (Penn) def. Robertson/Saiontz (Princeton), 8-7
3. Koulbitskaya/Avedissian (Penn) def. Scott/Trimble (Princeton), 8-3
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn) def. Melissa Saiontz (Princeton), 6-3, 7-6 (6)
2. Ivana King (Princeton) def. Julia Koulbitskaya (Penn), 7-5, 6-1
3. Yulia Rivelis (Penn) def. Darcy Robertson (Princeton), 6-3, 6-4
4. Lenka Snajdrova (Penn) def. Sarah Huah (Princeton), 6-4, 6-4
5. Blakely Ashley (Princeton) def. Michelle Mitchell (Penn), 7-6, 6-1
6. Lauren Sadaka (Penn) def. Joanna Roth (Princeton), 6-2, 6-2