TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 63 Penn women's tennis team pulled off an upset of No. 30 Arizona Wednesday afternoon, winning the doubles point to prevail 4-3.
Due to a rain delay, the teams played singles matches first, splitting them 3-3. At No. 1 singles, Yulia Rivelis defeated Stephanie Balzert, 7-5, 6-2, while Michelle Mitchelland Raluca Ciochina picked up key wins at No. 3 and No. 4.
Coming down to the doubles point to decide the match, the teams of Rivelis and Julia Koulbitskaya and Mitchell and Caroline Stanislawskieach won, 8-4, securing the upset.
The Quakers continue their West Coast swing on Friday, visiting Pepperdine at 1:30 p.m.
No. 63 Penn 4, No. 30 Arizona 3
1. Yulia Rivelis/Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Kasia Jakowlew/Jessie Rochefort (UA) 8-4
2. Danielle Steinberg/Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Raluca Ciochina/Alexis Plukas (P) 8-2
3. Caroline Stanislawski/Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Stephanie Balzert/Ferreira (UA) 8-4
1. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 7-5, 6-2
2. Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. Alexis Plukas (P)6-1, 6-1
3. Michelle Mitchell (P) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Raluca Ciochina (P) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
5. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Caroline Stanislawski (P) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Sara Schiffman (P) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5