PHILADELPHIA – Playing its final non-conference match before Ivy League play begins next weekend, the University of Pennsylvania had little trouble with visiting Georgetown, winning 5-2 Wednesday afternoon inside the Hecht Tennis Center.
Penn (7-4) began the match by winning the doubles point versus the Hoyas (8-3), claiming all three matches. The No. 1 duo of Sonya Latycheva and Kana Daniel won 8-2, while Ria Vaidya and Lina Qostal won 8-5, and Alexandra Ion and Luba Vazhenina won 8-6.
Leading the way for the Quakers in singles matches were sophomores Kana Daniel and Luba Vazhenina. Both completed their matches rather quickly, Daniel with a 6-0, 6-3 victory, and Vazhenina with a 6-0, 6-4 win.
Following the early individual wins, was freshman Lina Qostal with a 6-1, 6-3 win in the No. 4 position, while senior Alexandra Ion won in three sets in the fifth position.
Georgetown earned a point in the third position, and in a back-and-forth match in the No. 1 singles position, juniorSonya Latycheva was narrowly edged in a third set, for the Hoyas only other point.
With non-conference play completed, Penn now turns its focus to the four weekend stretch of Ivy League matches that will round out the season, beginning with Princeton on March 28 at 1 p.m. in Philadelphia.
Penn 5, Georgetown 2
1. Latycheva/Daniel (P) def. Panarese/Koenen (G); 8-2
2. Vaidya/Qostal (P) def. Saperstein/Perz (G); 8-5
3. Ion/Vazhenina (P) def. Marx/Foley (G); 8-6
1. Saperstein (G) def. Latycheva (P); 6-4, 6-7(5), 11-9
2. Daniel (P) def. Panarese (G); 6-0, 6-3
3. Barnard (G) def. Vaidya (P); 6-4, 7-6(3)
4. Qostal (P) def. de Chatellus (G); 6-1, 6-3
5. Ion (P) def. Koenen (G); 6-1, 2-6, 10-5
6. Vazhenina (P) def. Marx (G); 6-0, 6-4
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
Singles – 2, 6, 4, 5, 3, 1