PHILADELPHIA - Coming off their first win of 2016, the University of Pennsylvania women's tennis team made it two in a row with a 6-1 win over Rutgers on Sunday. The Quakers won all six individual matches after losing the doubles point.
Headlining the wins was Kana Daniel who earned her first result of 2016. Daniel was denied a win on Saturday when the match was called early after the Quakers had clinched the win. She experienced similiar disappointment in Alabama where she was denied wins based on the matches being clinched.
On Sunday, Daniel was allowed to finish, and she did so to the tune of 6-4 wins in both sets.
Ria Vaidya won in the second spot for the Quakers. She won both sets with 6-4 and 6-3 scores. The win is the sophomores first of 2016.
Sonya Latycheva picked up win number two of the season, breezing past her opponent, 6-1 and 6-3.
Clinching the match on Sunday was freshman Marta Kowalska. Penn's Polish import showed just how much potential she has with 6-2 and 6-1 results.
Lina Qostal and O.J. Singh were the most dominant Quakers on the court against Rutgers. Qostal shutout her opponent in the first set before closing out her win with by a 6-3 score. Singh posted back to back shutouts and gave the Quakers the 6-1 final.
Penn will be back on the court at Hecht next Sunday against West Philadelphia rival Drexel. The match is set for a noon start.
1. Latycheva/Daniel (Penn) def. Li/ Zein (RU); 6-2
2. Tihomirova/ Lee (RU) def. Vaidya/ Kowalska (Penn); 7-5
3. Kayati/ Cunningham (RU) def. Qostal/ Singh (Penn); 7-6 (7)
1. Daniel(Penn) def. Li(RU); 6-4, 6-4
2. Vaidya(Penn) def. Lee(RU); 6-4, 6-3
3. Latycheva(Penn) def. Tihomirova(RU); 6-1, 6-3
4. Kowalska(Penn) def. Zein(RU); 6-2, 6-2
5. Qostal(Penn) def. Kayati(RU); 6-0, 6-3
6. Singh(Penn) def. Levy(RU); 6-0, 6-0